Thursday, September 17, 2015

Embroidered Autumn cards

If you are anything like me, you have many wonderful tools in your stash that you just had to have when you saw them only you bring them home and not get around to using.
Today I am sharing a set of cards I made with just such a tool.

Several years ago I saw a few scrapbook layouts online that where absolutely beautiful. One of the most striking things about them was these gorgeous embroidered borders. It took me a few days to figure out how they were created when I discovered Bazzill Basics Paper Embroidery templates.
I decided to purchase two sets, as well as a pack of needles. I was overly excited when I found them in the store and brought them home with glee. Unfortunately life got in the way and I didn't get the chance to try them out in the next few weeks. Then came along a few craft room reorganizations and these templates found a home on my wall rack between alphabet stickers and doily packs; where they were fast forgotten,

Last weekend I decided it was high time to give them a try. As I planned on making cards I chose the smaller swirls and leaves set versus the large 12" border set. I chose to go the CAS route as it really highlights the pretty designs.

I absolutely love how these turned out. So much so, I may not give them away as a gift as originally planned (or I may just have to make a second set for myself).


I am by no means talented at embroidery. In fact I haven't had a needle and floss in my hands sine grade school. But I have to say these were relatively fast and easy.

I used really only two types of stitches, the running stitch and the split stitch. I used dollar store embroidery floss at full thickness (5 threads).

The templates are transparent plastic with a black outline design printed on them and evenly spaces along the lines are small 1/8" holes. You place your cardstock on top of  a piercing mat, then place the template on your card where you like t and using a needle or piercing tool pierce along the designs where the holes are. Then follow the pierced design when you stitch. Really simple.

I think it would actually be rather simple to make these templates. Use some acetate, stamp a scroll, line or flourish design with black StazOn and then use a hand held 1/8" hole punch to evenly spaced punch holes along the design. I'm really itching to try this with the spider web from web wishes.

Here are close ups of my three cards.


Supplies used:
Cardstock: Recollections white, Chocolate Chip - SU
Ink: Chocolate Chip - SU
Stamp: Express Yourself - SU
Misc.: Bazzill template, brown embroidery floss, small pearls, foam mounting squares 


Supplies used:
Cardstock: Recollections white, Cajun Craze - SU
Ink: Tangerine Tango - SU
Stamp: Sincere Salutations - SU
Alcohol Marker: Copic YR04 blended with SU Blendabilities Skintone (light brown)
Misc.: Bazzill template, orange embroidery floss, small pearls, foam mounting squares 


Supplies used:
Cardstock: Recollections white, Bazzil Leapfrog
Ink: Wild Wasabi - SU
Stamp: Whimsical Words - SU
Alcohol Marker: SU Blendabilities Old Olive
Misc.: Bazzill template, green embroidery floss, small pearls, foam mounting squares 

Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you again soon.

3 comments :

  1. I haven't hand stitched on a card for years. Love the templates you have, they all look very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that look! I never thought to stitch a card but I adore the finished look! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these cards- the stitching is very cool. I imagine you could try that on any stamped image too- very cool Loving the flourishes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...